Musical Crush

Hey everyone :)

Long time, no Musical Crush, right? (I discussed music a bit since my return, check out my West African playlist here.)

New, fresh music for your ears, and that is just what our first song is about. What struck me is the music in itself, which I wouldn't be able to classify. It's like pop with a hip hop beat thrown in the mix, which doesn't sound off, but rather cool and different. I also love that she's going against the wannabe-rich-and-famous attitude that the media/maintream music industry is trying to shove down our throats.

And we'll never be royals
It doesn't ruin our blood
This kinda lux just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz

Very nice, Lorde :) I don't know much about her, except that she's is an upcoming artist from New Zealand, but this sure makes me want to explore some more!


Out of the three picks, this one is my favourite. I've heard of Raphael Saadiq here and there, but I never took the time to check his music out, which I regret. This song came out in 2011, but it sounds good and new to me! Mr Saadiq has been in the game for a while now -- remember this? --, and is renowned in the soul/R&B sphere.


Although neo-soul is one of my favorite genres, I have to say I've been neglecting it a bit. Songs like these sure remind what I love so much about it!


Last but not least, Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams! I'm not a huge electro fan, so this came as a nice surprise. I knew the new Daft Punk album was much anticipated, and I guess a collabo with Pharrell helped too. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the buzz until I stumbled across this. After which I discovered this funky, playful song. Love at first hearing :)

Doesn't make you want to dance?

Let me know what your current musical crushes are :)

No comments: