Girl, Where'd You Get That From?

The Bangladesh factory collapse. The Scarlet/Oxfam/SodaStream situation. The L'Oreal BBR affair. Ringing any bells?

These events perfectly illustrate the dilemma I'm facing. Lately, I've been thinking about the beauty products I buy. Who is making them? Under which circumstances? Are the employees manufacturing my product working in good conditions? Do they get the minimum wage? 

What about the brand? Do they really care about their workforce? Their customers? Where does their money come from? Where is it going?

      
What's the real cost of beauty?

Do I even care? The answer is, yes. I do care. I want the people making whatever products I put on myself to be treated well. I don't want to give money to companies for them to support causes I oppose. I don't want companies putting derogatory/negative messages out there to thrive.

Otherwise, I'll end up with a product devoid of baraka, that might bring more harm than good. Sure, I'll look good. But at what expense?

 By giving them money, I support them. If I support the oppressor, I become his accomplice, I become the oppressor. We know the fate oppressors met, we've been given plenty of examples, and it ain't pretty. Sooner or later, there will be a reckoning, I will be asked about my past actions. I will be asked about my money, and how I've spent it. I will need justification for each thread, each drop, each ounce, I've used. Do I want to risk my akhira over something which isn't that important?

Don't think I'm sitting here, preaching and antagonizing anyone who doesn't feel the way I do. I'm not the most socially aware person in the world, nor am I the most pious. I'm just sharing what's on my heart.

I don't think I'm about to save the world or be the cause of these huge companies' downfall. I don't want to partake in this madness and I certainly don't want a share of their evil, especially over lipstick and hairspray T.T

A few inspiring articles on the topic
Ethics of Fashion


What's your take on the topic?

No comments: