Battle of the Soaps

*Post originally written in April 2013

Salams :)

Please excuse the rather adventurous title, I couldn't  help myself :)

As you might have noticed, I blog more and more about beauty these days. I guess I wanted a break from my run-of-the-mill, boring OOTDs -- which I'm going to return to soon, iA. Also, some brands I decided to put aside, and I had to find remplacements for them, so that means more testing.

Among products, I developed an interest -- more like obsession -- with soaps. Then, I discovered exfoliating soaps. What's better than a 3-in-1 product that leave your skin clean, soft and exfoliated? A few products caught my attention, I tried them out and wanted to share my experiment with you :)

 The three fiends!


Savon aux Feuilles de Verveine, L'Occitane 


The first thing that struck me about this verbena soap was its beautiful, leafy shape. As some of you may know, I'm a sucker for anything Lord of the Rings-related, so that detail didn't go unnoticed :) It has a pretty strong, lemon-y (verbena?), smell, which I'm not crazy about, but it vanishes pretty quickly.

This soap has a good exfoliating power, I'd use it 2/3 times a week. It left my skin glowy, moisturized, and really soft.

I have a few pet peeves though. First, the soap is quite small for me (75g), even though it allows for a better grip. Also, 5 is a little pricey for such a little amount, but then again, the quality components might be a justification. Lastly, you have to be careful not to let water enter the soap case, otherwise, it will turn mushy and not so exfoliating.

Savon Gourmand Amande, L'Occitane


Visually, nothing really special about this almond soap. It's almond-shaped, with bits of crushed almond shells to scrub off dead skin. It has a nice almond-y smell too.

You wouldn't believe what this tiny-looking can do. Its exfoliating power is no joke! The sales assistant actually told me, I wasn't convinced until I saw what it did. If seeing is believing, I do believe this LOL! It exfoliates so well, you'd have too be careful and make sure your skin is soaked in water, otherwise it might be a bit abrasive. It removed all the dead skin, made it super soft and glowy. Because it can be harsh on the skin, I'd use it no more than twice a week.

The only downside to me is the small size and the price, but given the thunder of the soap, I'd probably repurchase! 

Peau'ridge, Lush
 

Remember when I claimed my love for oatmeal? I bought this during my oatmeal frenzy, so that I could benefit from the cereal goodness. The soaps has a cake-like appearance, with bits of oatmeal sticking out.

I would say it's a good soap, it left my skin soft and silky. Compared to the other soaps, the exfoliating power is mild, I found it to be gentle enough for everyday use.

There were a few things I didn't like. The sweet, ginger-bread smell, which I'm not the biggest fan of. Also, I noticed that, the soap has a tendency to turn mushy overtime, making it hard to lather and/or scrub properly. Overall, I think it's a good product which I'd probabaly repurchase. I'll just make sure I get a tinier portion next time and it's not soaked in water.

And the review is done! Let me know what your favorite scrubing products/methods/techniques are :)

No comments: